Friday, February 10, 2017

2016 Prediction Review



The NFL season is over, which means it’s time for me to begin the long process of preparing for the draft. But before I move on to 2017, there is a little more business with 2016 to clean up.

Prior to the season I made a lot of predictions, most of which didn’t amount to anything. Of course all of you have forgotten these predictions, and it would be easy (and probably smart) to let them stay forgotten. But where’s the fun in that. So, quickly, here’s a run through of a handful of my predictions that worked out particularly well or particularly poorly.

Divisions:
Image result for dak prescott
NFC East
“If Dak Prescott can do in the regular season what he did in the preseason, they’ll pull this out in the end. But I don’t have faith in fourth round rookie quarterbacks, so instead I think it will be a dogfight between the Redskins and the Giants.”

I was skeptical of Prescott, and boy was I wrong. Not only did the Cowboys pull it out in the end, they ran away with the division and locked up the best record in the NFC. I don’t feel particularly bad about this one, especially since I did correctly write the Eagles off after sending Sam Bradford away. Prescott was better than anyone could have imagined, and the Cowboys suffered virtually no dropoff after Tony Romo went down.

NFC West
“After a surprising division victory by the Cardinals last year, many people are calling them the best team in the league and the Super Bowl favorites. I’m not as high on them as most people. I don’t see much depth, and I see a lot of very fragile pieces holding them together.”

Another success! Man, I must really know what I’m talking about. The Cardinals were the hot team at the beginning of the year, and I bought into the hype to some extent, predicting them to go 11-5 and claim a Wild Card spot. But my worries about the team proved reasonable, and the tense division race between them and the Seahawks never materialized as they fell back with San Francisco and Los Angeles in the wasteland at the bottom of the NFC West.

NFC South
“[The Panthers] are still the class of this division, and they’ll right the few bumps that appeared against a quality Denver team.”

A miserable cold delayed my preview, and I didn’t get it up until after Carolina’s opening night defeat against Denver. But bold as ever, I decided to stick with my convictions and keep them as the winners of the NFC South.

Whoops. Turns out I should have been more skeptical of Carolina’s success, but after spending most of 2015 doubting them I allowed myself to overlook the holes dotting their offense and the decaying corpse of their secondary. They ended up finishing with the worst record in the division, while their rival Falcons came as close as humanly possible to winning the Super Bowl. But I’ll have more to say on the Falcons below, so let’s just move on from one of my more embarrassing predictions.

NFC North
“The Bears and the Lions aren’t particularly inspiring, but they’re intriguing. Both have enough young pieces on defense that they could pull things together this year, and anything is possible with these quarterbacks.”

Hey, I was half right. Of these two I was probably more optimistic about the Bears, but the Lions shocked everyone by going on an insane stretch in close games, somehow making the playoff despite trailing in the fourth quarter of all but one game. Matthew Stafford had the best season of his career, repeatedly pulling out last minute miracles to cover up for the fact that this team really wasn’t that good and was always destined to get embarrassed in the first round of the playoffs.

AFC East
“[The Jets] will score points, and they can count on their defense to be as competitive as ever to give them a chance to make the playoffs and possibly even push the Patriots for the division.”

In fairness, this was written in my divisional preview where I looked at a “glass half full” scenario for every team. I expected the Jets to be a quality team, if they weren’t held back by their quarterback. Unfortunately, there was a lot more wrong with this team than just the quarterback. Only the Browns and the Rams scored fewer points than they did, and their defense regressed sharply, falling from 5th to 21st in DVOA. In fact, I really can’t point to anything the Jets did well. Even as a hypothetical, this badly missed the mark.


AFC West
“There’s the Raiders, a young team that could explode or fall to pieces. There’s the Broncos, a dominant defense trying to find an identity on offense. There’s the Chargers, a mediocre squad dragged on by a superstar quarterback. And there’s the Chiefs, a team that’s good at pretty much everything but not great at anything.”

I think I nailed these descriptions, even if I erred in picking the Chargers as the division winners. The Raiders exploded for the first chunk of the season, then fell to pieces when their quarterback went down and their defense was exposed as a crime against the game of football. The Broncos slipped back some on defense, but the main problem was on offense, where they couldn’t run the ball and barely kept Trevor Siemian upright long enough to throw to their talented receivers. The Chargers were once again killed by injuries and bad luck at the end of games, and the Chiefs ended up somehow coming out on top, despite still not being above average in any facet of the game aside from protecting the ball and forcing turnovers.


AFC South
“The injury to Andrew Luck threw this division off a year ago, but I think it will get back to the normal flow of things this year.”

Andrew Luck is really freaking good, and everyone else on the Colts is really freaking bad. It is incredible that a team with a quarterback this far ahead of everyone else in the division wasn’t able to run away with things, but this team has been so poorly managed that even an in his prime Peyton Manning wouldn’t be enough to get them to the playoffs. This organization is toxic from the top down, and it isn’t going to get better as long as Jim Irsay is calling the shots. It may unfortunately be a long time before we get a chance to see how great Luck truly is, and it may have to come somewhere other than Indianapolis.

AFC North
“[Cincinnati will] regress some, while Pittsburgh will only get better as the young pieces on their defense step in.”

The Bengals certainly regressed, far more than even I expected. I had them making the postseason as a Wild Card with an 11-5 record, and instead they find themselves picking in the top ten of the draft. The team that ultimately pushed the Steelers for the division was the Ravens, who I underestimated with only six wins. But as I expected, the Steelers pulled it out after a shaky start, winning their last seven thanks in large part to the entry of three defensive rookies into the starting lineup.

Awards
Image result for joey bosa chargers
Offensive Rookie of the Year
My Pick: Ezekiel Elliot
Actual Winner: Dak Prescott

Screw it, I’m counting this one as a victory. Elliot finished one vote short of proving me right, and I still believe he was the more deserving winner. Prescott was great, and the quarterback position is undeniably more valuable. But Elliot led the league in rushing, and he deserves more credit than he’s getting for the work he put in. Dallas’s offensive line is great, but Elliot’s speed and vision created just as many yards. He was the best rookie in the league this year, as I expected.

Defensive Rookie of the Year
My Pick: Vernon Hargreaves
Actual Winner: Joey Bosa

I loved Bosa coming into the draft, and he probably would have been one of my favorites for this pick if not for the holdout that was still ongoing when I wrote these predictions. I knew Bosa was going to miss time, and I didn’t think he’d be good enough to make up for that. I was wrong. Bosa was one of the best defensive players in the league this year, and he ran away with this award despite only playing 12 games. The only real competitor was Jalen Ramsey, who I named but passed over for Hargreaves because I thought the Buccaneers rookie would impress with more interceptions. He only picked off one pass this year, but he was a major factor for a Tampa Bay pass defense that really came together as the season went along.

Coach of the Year
My Pick: Mike Zimmer
Actual Winner: Jason Garrett

Early on this was looking good, but it ended up going to a different coach who saw his starting quarterback go down just before the season. I thought the Vikings would be good enough to ride Sam Bradford into the playoffs, and they very nearly were. But injuries and bad luck killed them down the stretch, and Zimmer was lucky to get through the season without going completely blind in one of his eyes. Garrett didn’t face anywhere near the same level of adversity, but the results are impossible to argue against, as he took a team quarterbacked by a fourth round rookie and led them to the best record in the league.

Comeback Player of the Year
My Pick: Andrew Luck
Actual Winner: Jordy Nelson

I touched on Luck above. He was great this year, far better than Nelson in terms of individual performance. But the Colts were disappointing, while Nelson rode the arm of Aaron Rodgers to an impressive statistical season that covered up that he had clearly lost a step. In many ways these two players had opposite seasons, with Luck’s greatness hidden by his ghastly surroundings and Nelson’s mediocrity covered by the brilliance of his quarterback.

Defensive Player of the Year
My Pick: JJ Watt
Actual Winner: Khalil Mack

I picked Watt, and Watt got hurt. I have no regrets. If Watt had been healthy and had played at even 80 percent of his normal level, he would have won this award in a landslide. Mack had a good season, but he was an uninspiring choice in a field full of uninspiring choices. This wasn’t a great year for dominant defensive players, and the league definitely felt the absence of one of its all time greats.

MVP
My Pick: Aaron Rodgers
Actual Winner: Matt Ryan

Rodgers had an up and down season that ended on a major up, and he probably would have been second on my ballot if I had a vote and if NFL MVP voters were allowed to list multiple names. He carried a subpar Green Bay team to a six game winning streak and a division title, and he did it while inspiring fear of the sort that no one else in the NFL can produce. He remains a much better quarterback than Ryan, but the efficiency at which Ryan operated this year was too much to match, as he put together a statistically dominant season without doing all that much to actually impress.

Super Bowl
Image result for matt ryan super bowl
My Prediction: Seahawks over Steelers
Actual Outcome: Patriots over Falcons
I did pretty well with this. Both of my Super Bowl participants were in the final eight, and the Steelers made it to Championship weekend. This is an improvement over my last couple years of predictions, as I saw each of my last two NFC Champions fail to make the playoffs. Pittsburgh and Seattle weren’t particularly bold selections, but neither turned out to be a complete disaster.

In both cases I fell short on this one because I underestimated each team’s glaring flaw. I neglected to make any mention of Seattle’s offensive line, a unit that was near the bottom of the league in 2015 and somehow got even worse this year. The Seahawks were a Super Bowl caliber team, outside of an offensive line that didn’t boast a single NFL caliber player.

Pittsburgh is a more interesting story, one I probably should have seen coming. I did hedge my bets a little in the prediction, saying:

“Where the NFC has four Super Bowl caliber teams fighting for a spot, the AFC has only two. This opens things up for inferior squads like San Diego, Cincinnati, or Indianapolis to sneak through in the playoffs, but I’m still going to stick with Pittsburgh or New England. The Patriots will be at full strength by the time the playoffs roll around, and they’re probably the smarter choice. But Pittsburgh’s offense is just too devastating, and if they can make it through the season intact I think they can outgun the Patriots in a shootout and make it to the Super Bowl.”

I nailed the final two teams, but I failed to acknowledge how poorly the Steelers match up against the Patriots. Their defense has been consistently picked to pieces by Tom Brady, and it’s going to take more than an influx of youth to fix that.

The other conference is more interesting. Not many people saw Atlanta coming, and I certainly won’t claim I did. (I had them pegged as an 8 win team.) But I did find a few quotes that are interesting in hindsight.

“I actually kind of like Atlanta as a sneaky bounce back team, especially if their young defense can pull together.”

“It’s still a decent hill to climb, but if things come together for the Falcons they could be one of the surprise teams of the season.”

There are problems all over Atlanta’s roster, from their age to their depth, but the biggest concern of all has to be at the quarterback position.”

And I think that’s a good note to end on. On the whole, I feel like I did a pretty good job with my predictions. But even so, I managed to squeeze at least one painfully boneheaded comment in there.

Can’t wait to do it again in 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment